Project Street Legal Stocker

Friday, July 24, 2009

It Runs!


After three weeks of thrashing "Project Street Legal Stocker" is finally running! This Sunday it will make its first pass with the new mill (fingers crossed). Unfortunately, I ran over my budget which meant I had to cut back on a few key items (ie. exhaust and fuel regulator). This will cut 2-3 tenths of ET as the factory exhaust and fuel settings are conservative. I can cheat the fuel system into enriching the fuel mixture with a resistor in place of the coolant temperature setting. However, you can't find a way for the motor to breath through the factory exhaust. Oh well, I'll keep buying those 6/49 tickets just in case :) Regardless, my goal of running class this year will have to wait.

When taking apart the old motor I was shocked to find out how much timing chain stretch was present. I had replaced the timing chain in the old motor with a high performance chain from a local dealer less than 20,000km ago. Anyhow, that chain stretched enough to create 3/4's of an inch of play in the chain. When I set the distributor in the new motor with the identical timing settings as used in the past it had moved from 10 advanced to 12 degrees retarded - that is 22 degrees of cam timing and a pile of torque that could never have been found before. My next post will be after the SIR race on Sunday July 26th. I'm hoping for 13.90's.