Project Street Legal Stocker

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

National Open

I finally got a chance to make some passes last weekend at the Medicine Hat National Open. It really felt great to hit a few lights and feel the excitement of a busy drag strip again. I had hoped for 13.90's but had to settle for 14.20's all weekend long. Between the extreme air (5000 feet +) and some valve body problems finding more power was not going to happen. Best pass this weekend was a 14.22 @ 91.6 mph on a 1.96 60 foot. The mph would have been 95mph (and et 14.17) but I was scrubbing some speed as I had the win. This run was done with a hot motor in the worst air of the weekend. This tells me that my motor likely wants to be running with less fuel.

There was a large turnout of stock /super stock cars last weekend which made for some exciting racing. There was a large variety of cars ranging from a GT/AA car through to a V/SA car. It made for very diverse racing for certain. To my surprise there was also a P/SA 1989 Mustang GT convertible stocker from Washington. It was really exciting to meet someone running a combo I'm trying to build. The owner was really helpful and has offered to help point me in the right direction with my own project. Blair from Nitroimage snapped quite a few pics of the action which some can be viewed here.

Next race will be an SIR points meet. I'll be playing with the valve body, timing advance, and my launch technique to see if I can manage some 14.0's.